Saturday, October 3, 2009

20 Mile Long Run Prep - Next up Baltimore Half

So today was one of our last 2 USA Fit Philly long runs in prep for the Philadelphia Marathon in November. On the schedule we had 19 miles for the yellow group (9-10 Min. Mile Group) but what was mapped out ended up being 20 miles. I felt so much better on this run then I did on my previous long run of 17 miles just a few weeks ago. I ran the first half or so with the group which made a difference. I'm normally out there alone so it was nice to have the company.

I did the 20.02 miles at a pace of 9:51 min/mi.

About mile 14 - Photo by Mary T.

I used Endurolytes, Gu Gel and Gu Chomps on the run and the combination really seems to be working for me. I had no stomach or GI issues which is great.

Post run I felt pretty good and finally feel like I can actually finish 26.2 miles!


So this week I'm going to take it kind of light since I have the Baltimore Half Marathon on Saturday. I'm not really looking to PR this race since I did so well in at the Philly Distance Run 2 weeks ago. In looking at the course it's going to be a little more challenging with some hills so I'll just be treating this as a race training run. I'll be heading down to the race expo on Friday afternoon then check into my hotel. Helen and Mary from USA Fit Philly are running the full so I'll see if they want to get a bite to eat Friday night.

This race starts the full and half at different times and locations. The full starts at 8AM and the half at 9:45. They join up around mile 13.5 and finish the course together. This should be interesting as it will be my first experience around folks doing a full marathon distance.

So bring on the crabs Baltimore! Show me what you got. I'll probably be back for the full marathon next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment